August 16, 2005

Grow your own nutrition

I am looking forward so much to growing my own fruits and vegetables! I doubt I will be able to feed myself on this small plot of land (much of it shaded by maple trees that ring the perimeter). But any contribution of fresh, tasty food will be a welcome addition to the supermarket blahs.

The Burpee Seed folks have a nice listing of the nutritional benefits of various fruits and vegetables. Some of this will apply to store stuff, but anything that has been trucked across the country is bound to lose freshness; what's more, foodstuffs grown for export are selected for staying power over other values.

To the greatest extent possible, I buy locally grown vegetables and fruits. I urge others to do so also, because without our support, local farmers will wither and blow away like topsoil in a drought.

I feel very fortunate to live in a city that has a food cooperative dedicated to selling locally grown produce, the Willimantic Food Coop and aseasonal farmer's market.
The Farmer's Market has no website, but is listed in numerous other sources.
*Willimantic Farmers' Market
Corner of Jackson & Union Streets
Tuesdays, 1:30pm-5pm
Saturdays, 7:30am-12noon
June 15 thru October

A great source for finding local farms is at the site Local Harvest where you can click the map or enter your zip code to find farms, organic food stores, and restaurants that serve locally grown foods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home