June 04, 2005

Poison Ivy - Honey Connection?

I've been looking to see if there are any organic ways to get rid of poison ivy. There is a huge, healthy crop of it sprouting from a vine on a neighbor's tree into my yard.

It appears to be seeking sunshine.

While we could most likely avoid touching it, I am afraid the cats will get it on their fur, and from them to us.

Then I saw this suggestion on how to minimize its effects:

Poison Ivy - Honey Connection?:

... So, once again, I had honey continuously on the table.

That was when the poison ivy reaction disappeared, and it has never returned. I think the effect is from the poison ivy pollen, just as an allergist injects a tiny amount of the allergen to help your body learn to deal with it correctly.

Why not try it? It's a pleasant experiment, safe unless you are diabetic, and not costly at all, compared to other medical treatments.

But be sure that your honey does have the pollen. Supermarket honey is ultrafiltered to remove all pollen, then it is also cooked to prevent it from crystallizing on the shelf.

You need to get what is called 'raw' honey

We have no beekeepers in the neighbohood that I know of, but I expect I can get raw (local!) honey at the local food coop.


Post a Comment

<< Home